Hospital Employee Arrested in Shocking String of New York City Stabbings

New York City, NY – A hospital employee has been taken into custody after allegedly stabbing six people in a series of unprovoked attacks that have instilled fear in the city, authorities reported today. The suspect, identified as Jermain Rigueur, born in 1996 and previously free of any criminal record, has been charged with attempted murder, felony assault, and criminal possession of a weapon, according to the police.

Rigueur worked at Woodhull Medical Center in Brooklyn and had undergone a background check that revealed no prior signs of mental health difficulties, officials confirmed. One piece of evidence that led to his identification was the visibility of Rigueur’s work lanyard in security footage during one of the attacks.

NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban expressed his gratitude to the detectives and community members who helped bring the stabbing spree to a halt. “It ultimately came down to basic detective work – following leads, knocking on doors,” he stated during a press conference on Thursday. Caban emphasized the importance of interviewing witnesses and reaching out to residents to apprehend the suspect.

Mayor Eric Adams commended the arrest, asserting that it likely prevented more individuals from being targeted. He acknowledged the terror that the attacks had instigated throughout the city but expressed relief that no lives were lost. “He attacked six individuals and didn’t appear as though he was looking to stop anytime soon. And thank god we have no one who lost his or her life because of this incident,” Adams affirmed.

Over a span of nine days, five people were stabbed in separate incidents in the Jamaica neighborhood of Queens, the police revealed. Three of these attacks occurred within a 30-minute timeframe. Authorities later linked a sixth attack, which took place on a J train in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Williamsburg, to Rigueur.

The victims ranged in age from 36 to 74. On January 8, a 61-year-old man was stabbed in the back but was reported to be in stable condition after being transported to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center. Similarly, a 34-year-old woman was approached from behind and stabbed in the right side of her torso while walking home in the early hours of Tuesday. She managed to escape and was also stable after receiving medical treatment.

On Wednesday, three men aged 36, 41, and 74 were stabbed in separate incidents between 7:29 a.m. and 8 a.m. All three victims were treated at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center and were said to be in stable condition. According to the police, the final victim and the suspect had an argument over a seat on an MTA bus just before the stabbing occurred.

Police had described the suspect as 5-foot with a dark gray jacket, black pants, black shoes, and a blue mask. In an effort to gather more information and tips, the department launched a public campaign offering a $3,500 reward for any leads on the suspect’s whereabouts.

The arrest of Rigueur has brought some relief to the affected communities and the entire city, with officials emphasizing the importance of prompt action to protect the public from further harm. The investigation into the motive behind these attacks continues.